Posted to microsoft.public.word.conversions,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jezebel

Default Opening a TXT file unbound to paper size/margins

A Word document will always fit the template it's based on (and every
document is based on a template). In the current case, normal.dot is being
used.

If you're writing macros anyway, it would be simpler to read the file
directly into a variable, work on it there, then write it back (ie without
ever displaying it at all) --

Dim pLines() as string
Dim pFileNum as long

pFileNum = freefile

Open "C:\My Documents\...." for input as pFileNum
pLines = Split(Input(Lof(pFilenum),pFilenum), vbCr)
Close #pFileNum

' Do whatever to pLines()

Open "C:\My Documents\...." for output as pFileNum
Print #pFileNum, Join(pLines, vbCr)
Close #pFileNum

"Conan Kelly" CTBarbarin at msn dot com wrote in message
Hello all,

How do I open a text file in MS Word so that it is not bound to a paper
size or margins?

I have a text file that I need to import into MS Access/SQL Server. This
text file runs out to column 174 in Notepad (when Word Wrap is shut off).
But this text file is in a "Report" format: every 57 lines is the page
header for the next page and then records follow. That is why I want to
open it in Word, so I can run macros on it to delete the page headers and
the summaries at the end of each section so I can import only records into
Access/SQL Server.

When ever I open it in Word, first the File Conversion dialog box pops up
with Unicode selected. I click "OK", but then the ruler shows up at the
top of the Word doc limited to 11.5" and the lines are wrapping when it
gets to the right margin. I've tried changing paper size and margins but
can't seem to get the 11.5" ruler to expand so the lines will quit
wrapping and each record will only take up one line.

I'm afraid of how that will affect my macros. They will depend heavily on
finding certain text and then deleting a certain number of lines once that
text is found. I would definitely be more comfortable writing/running my
macros if the lines did not wrap.

I'm sorry if I'm ruffling some feathers by multi-/cross- posting on 3
different NG's. I just figure that I'm expanding my audience and have a
better chance of getting my questions answered.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly