Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default print preview/printer driver questions

I have the same needs wrt lists--another good reason for "Keep with
previous." Wrt to condensing, there are myriad ways to do it, including the
crude Shrink to Fit button in Print Preview. You might have a look at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FitCopy.htm. I find that condensing the
font 0.1 point or the line spacing by 1% often does the trick.

"Earl Purple" wrote in message
ups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

One property we've repeatedly asked for is a "Keep with previous"

property
that could be applied to, say, the complimentary close of a letter or
signature block of a contract. It's easy enough to apply "Keep with

next" so
that the closing doesn't get separated from the signature, but in order

make sure that the entire signature block doesn't get stranded on a page

by
itself, it's necessary to mark the paragraph BEFORE the closing as KWN,

and
that can be chancy when the content of the letter or contract is still

under
revision.

I would like Keep With Previous for a slightly different reason: when
you have a table or list which contains a heading followed by a number
of items, I would like all the items to appear on the same page
(assuming that the whole entity fits into a page). I would also like
the list items to have one style, so I can apply a "keep with previous"
on that style (as well as keep lines together) and all the items would
be grouped together.

The workaround now is to use a different style for the last item in the
group that has the same style as those above it apart from the "keep
with next" feature. Of course, not only is this more tricky to do, but
should you add any items to the group later you'll have to fiddle about
with the styles.

A group here could mean either a table or a series of numbered or
bulleted paragraphs.

It would also be nice to have some kind of auto-condense feature so
that Word could condense the text nicely when it doesn't quite fit.
This would save having to fiddle about manually with the settings until
you find one that works, although I guess macros could be written to do
this.