Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Restart page numbering in chapter

If you can obfuscate the proprietary info and send me the doc, I'll take a
look (FWIW, I never pay any attention to the content of docs I look at,
anyway).

"Randy" wrote in message
Wow, I even tried deleting everything in the document prior to Chapter 1,
and
the page numbering in chapter 1 still started with 2-1.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

A good start is to display nonprinting characters (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm). You can also use
Find to search for a given style, and that might easily find it, or you
can
use the Browse buttons to Browse by Heading. In a previous case (which
was a
problem with a StyleRef field rather than numbering, but a similar
issue),
it turned out that the style had been applied to the end-of-cell marker
in a
table. The actual table text was in a separate paragraph with a different
style (the user had pressed Enter at the end of the text, leaving the EOC
marker as an empty paragraph), so it was far from obvious.

"Randy" wrote in message
When I select FormatStyles and Formatting, then right-click on Heading
1,
and click "Select all 4 instance(s)", only three are highlighted in the
document. I only have three chapters, so an empty paragraphs or page
break
may exist before "Chapter 1". How do I find it and delete it?

"Randy" wrote:

I applied heading 6 to the appendix titles and the page numbers in the
appendix now work great! Thank you!

Now I just have to get Chapter 1 to start out as 1-1 instead of 2-1...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you include Heading 6 as part of your outline numbering scheme?

"Randy" wrote in message
I wish I could send the document, but it's proprietary to my
company
and I
can't. I'm having the same problem with Appendix B. The page
numbers
in
Appendix A are fine (A-1, A-2, etc), but the page numbers in
Appendix
start
at A-1. I've followed Shana Kelly's suggestion to change the
Chapter
Starts
with Style box to choose Heading 6.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you'd like to send me a portion of the problem doc, I'll take
look.

"Randy" wrote in message
The Chapter 1 title uses "Heading 1" style, and is preceded by
section
titled "References and Drawings" which uses the "Title
Centered"
style.
There is a page number and section break (next page) between
them,
but
deleting either or both didn't help. I didn't see any empty
paragraphs
between the sections.

In the Page Number Format dialogue box, the "chapter starts
with
style"
is
Heading 1.

I forgot to mention I'm using Word 2003.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If the style used for the chapter numbering is part of an
outline-numbered
list, make sure you don't have any lower-level heads preceding
"Chapter
1."
Also check to make sure that you don't have any empty
paragraphs
or
page
breaks before "Chapter 1" formatted with the heading style it
uses.

"Randy" wrote in message
I have a document with several chapters, each seperated by
section
breaks.
The page numbering starts over in all chapters but one. the
numbering
is
2-1,
2-2, 3-1, etc.

The chapter that won't restart is Chapter 1, which follows
some
frontmatter.
The frontmatter page numbers are numbered correctly (i, ii,
iii,
etc).
The
first page of Chapter 1 begins with 2-1 instead of 1-1. I
have
section
breaks
before and after the chapter. All of the other chapters
restart
the
numbering
correctly except this one.

I've opened the footer in Chapter 1 that contains the page
number
and
changed the page number setting to "start at 1", but this
doesn't
help.
"Link
to previous" is not selected.