Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Wildcard "special" searches

As I said, you've clearly never done copyediting. I don't "hunt" for
footnotes so as to get all the punctuation of them right, and then go
back and do some other task (though I imagine a computer scientist
could suppose that's a practical way of proceeding).

I'm reading the entire document, beginning to end, fixing everything
as I come to it, and that includes footnote placement; that's why it
makes sense to have a Transpose command for this one special case that
works just like the one that fixes ordinary tpyos.

BTW I had a series of items ending with parenthesis-note-comma, and
the macro flipped the comma and note properly, but inserted a space
before the comma (it doesn't do that with ordinary letters). I suppose
that has to do with Word's attempt to understand when to supply spaces
when moving a "word" (something selected by a double-click) vs. a
series of letters (something selected by dragging).

On Jul 31, 12:47*pm, Venky62 wrote:
Have you even tried it? Or are you feeling it is more complicated? Since

I read your description.

you have so many different scenarios, footnote before character, after
character, and none,

There's only one relevant scenario: when I put the cursor between two
characters and want them transposed. It's only a quirk of Word that
causes the older macro not to work with note references.

the only way to deal with all of them is to give
you the choice whether to transpose a footnote or not. I don't see how
that is more complicated than hunting each footnote in the text, placing
the cursor exactly between the 2 characters and then running the macro.
So try it out and see. Of course, if you have only one footnote to
transpose in a whole document, then this may be more work. But then you
may as well do it manually. Why request a macro?

The current article I'm doing has 130 notes.

Peter T. Daniels;492961 Wrote:

Why do you want to make it constantly _more_ complicated? I asked for
a button to do one thing (a "transpose" function that works when a
footnote reference is involved) and you've given it a multitude of
functions whose utility escapes me.

It didn't occur to me to ask about this earlier (because I hate
endnotes) -- I don't suppose this will work on endnote references as
well? (Not really a problem, because if any author had for some reason
used endnotes instead of footnotes, I'd simply use Convert to fix
them, and then when done Convert them back. A problem might arise,
though, in the rare event that a document has both footnotes and
endnotes.)

On Jul 30, 8:07*pm, Venky62 wrote:-
Okay. That means your document can have a mixture or correctly placed
footnotes and incorrect ones.-

That would be its state when editing was partly finished.
-
Also, there may be footnotes in the middle
of a sentence, not only at the end.-

If there's a comma after it (an individual item in a list is
footnoted, say), then it needs to be changed; if there isn't (a note
on the subject of a sentence that would be inappropriate at the end of
the sentence, for instance), then the question would not even arise.
-
This code takes care of that. It searches for a footnote and asks if
you
want it to be transposed. If you click "Yes" then it will do so, else
it
will move on. Once it reaches end of document, it will ask you if you
would like to do the search again from the beginning of document. If
you
say "Yes", then it will take you to the beginning and you can start
again; if "No" then it does nothing.-

That sounds like at least as much, if not more, work than no macro at
all. The point is to _simplify_ editing, not to add complications.
-
If you still want to do it by placing the cursor between the footnote
ref. and the next character, that can be done too. But this is more
useful.-

I suspect you've never been a copyeditor ...
--
On Jul 30, 3:19*pm, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
-
And when I tested the new shortcut, I learned that if the period is
already before the next footnote, it'll grab the first letter of the
next sentence. Not really ideal. Takes two Undo's to set it right.-

|Filename: TransposeFootnote2.txt * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.wordbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=135|