Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

Default Unable to update labels in mail merge

Sounds like you might be using a Tablet PC or a PC with some form of Tablet
functionality.

Use the following macro to overcome the problem with propagation of mail
merge field fields with a label type mail merge when using a Tablet PC and
some other Computers that have Tablet PC Functionality available:

Sub MailMergePropagateLabel()

Dim atable As Table

Dim i As Long, j As Long

Dim source As Cell, target As Cell

Dim myrange As Range

Set atable = ActiveDocument.Tables(1)

Set source = atable.Cell(1, 1)

Set myrange = source.Range

myrange.Collapse wdCollapseStart

ActiveDocument.Fields.Add Range:=myrange, Text:="NEXT", _

PreserveFormatting:=False

source.Range.Copy

For j = 2 To atable.Columns.Count

Set target = atable.Cell(1, j)

If target.Range.Fields.Count 0 Then

target.Range.Paste

End If

Next j

For i = 2 To atable.Rows.Count

For j = 1 To atable.Columns.Count

Set target = atable.Cell(i, j)

If target.Range.Fields.Count 0 Then

target.Range.Paste

End If

Next j

Next i

atable.Cell(1, 1).Range.Fields(1).Delete

End Sub

It is suggested that you put this code into a template that you save in the
Word Startup folder so that it becomes an add-in and will be available
whenever you need it. As the macro has the same name as the Word Command
that is supposed to do the job, this macro will run when the Update Labels
button is used when setting up the mail merge label main document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"BK" wrote in message
news
I'm using mswordxp. I've inserted my merge field in the first column/row
of
the label template and clicked on the update icon in the tool bar and have
no
response. Shouldn't it update and insert "next record" in every cell?