Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SuzieQ SuzieQ is offline

Default Difficult Page Numbering/Section Break/Line Numbering Issue

I'm baffled. I've read quite a few answers to questions, but I can't seem to
find one that fits what I've got going on. Any help would be appreciated.

We draft patent applications. Towards the end of the document is a section
called the claims. The patent office requires that any claims over 5 lines
be numbered. The numbers have to restart for each claim over 5 lines.

We accomplish this by placing a continuous section break at the beginning
and end of each claim, like this:

----------------Section Break (Continuous)--------------------------
1. A method for numbering claims . . . .
----------------Section Break (Continuous)--------------------------
----------------Section Break (Continuous)--------------------------
2. A method according to claim 1, wherein the pages don't renumber.
----------------Section Break (Continuous)--------------------------
----------------Section Break (Continuous)--------------------------
3. etc.

The entire document is formatted with no different first page, headers on
each page containing our docket number and footers on each page containing a
consecutive page number. Page numbering is only applied to the claims
section, and it is set to number by five and restart at each section break.

The pages will number just fine until you get to the claims section. Then
the first page of claims will be consecutive, and the next page will start at
one. Mind you, by now, the footer is footer section 13 or so whereas the
footer section for the previous page was footer section 1.

When formatting the page numbers, I tell it to continue from previous
section, which changes the number to 2. I know that page numbering directly
ties into section breaks, but how can I tell it to ignore the section breaks
and number consecutively?