Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Word mailmerge how to do multiple If statements

It would surprise me if the

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD x }" = "" ""
"{ MERGEFIELD x }
" }

approach did not work, but you do have to get the overall layout right.

If you have

before
{ MERGEFIELD x }
after

and you want a blank { MERGEFIELD x } to result in

before
after

then you have to use something like

before
{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD x }" = "" ""
"{ MERGEFIELD x }
" }after

or if you prefer fewer lines

before
{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD x }" = "" "" "{ MERGEFIELD x }
" }after

not

before
{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD x }" = "" "" "{ MERGEFIELD x }
" }
after

but perhaps that doesn't work on your setup either...

Peter Jamieson

"Peter" wrote in message
Hi Doug, Peter and Ed,

Really appreciate all your advice and tips. I have being trying all the
various tests as suggested. The end result is that I am still getting the
blank line on merge outputs other than new document. When I get back to my
office tomorrow I will apply the SP3 pack to my MS Word. Not sure if that
alone will make the difference in all of this.

Depending on the project deadline I may just apply the merge to a new
document and then print pdf files from there. Creating new documents for
me
creates a real slow down in my project. I have over 14,000 letters to
merge
from 5 different letter formats. Even though I merge in blocks of 500, the
merge to "new document" is very slow (even with the spell check off).

Anyway, thanks again. Frankly, I'm blown away by your efforts and advice
.
. . much appreciate it!

Peter
ps - I will let you know if I resolve the problem . . .