Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default How to Get Word 2007 to 'kick-in' to Compatibility Mode Automatically for New Docs

The Compatibility Pack is only for machines that have Word 2000, 2002,
or 2003, and it won't install on a machine that has only Word 2007.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 13:46:32 +1000, "Summer"
wrote:

One other thing which may or may not have an effect is the fact that have
you installed the Compatibility Pack from Microsoft?

Then see how it works?

"Julie W" wrote in message
Yes.

I start up word... it automatically opens a new document (not in
compatibility mode)

I check my default save/as format, and it is set to: Word 97 - 2003
Document (*.doc)

I check my Office Button / Word Options / Advanced / Compatibility options
for:
I select "All New Documents"
Then under "Lay out this document as if created in:"
I select Microsoft Office Word 2003
Then I click ok

This may be a clue: That "Lay out" setting never sticks.

I can set it over and over... and when I go back to the setting, it's back
to "Lay out this document as if created in:"

"Summer" wrote in message
Did you try in Advanced Layout Compatibility Options Layout This document
as if created in Word 2003 - I have this checked as well as Save and I
have no problem.

Hope this helps.

Summer
www.docsliveonline.com

"Julie W" wrote in message
My Office Button / Word Options / Save / "Save files in this format"
is set to: "Word 97 - 2003 Document (*.doc)", but every time I create a
new blank document (Office Button / New / Blank Document / Create),
[Compatibility Mode] won't kick-in until I after I save the document in
the legacy format for the first time.

Excel and PowerPoint don't behave this way: If you've got your default
save format set to the legacy formats, anytime you create a new workbook
or presentation, you're automatically in [Compatibility Mode] when you
create a new workbook or presentation.