Stan Brown

In article , Klaus Linke
favored us with...
I heard that you can insert Unicode characters using their hex code in
Win2003 Server and XP, but it never worked for me in Win XP.

I think you are mixing up elements of two different entry schemes.

In native Windows XP, you insert Unicode characters using Alt and
their _decimal_ code. (Probably this includes 2003 Server, but I
don't have a copy to test with.) Press and hold the Alt key, type the
numbers on the numeric key pad (NumLock must be on), then release the
Alt key. This is represented as e.g. Alt-8212 or Alt+8212 for the em
dash, but you don't actually press a plus or minus key.

This should work in all programs, _possibly_ excepting Word. (I'm on
a laptop, and there are some funky issues with the interaction
between Word and my keyboard, so I'm not sure about this.)

In Word 2003 you insert Unicode characters by _first_ typing the
_hex_ code and then typing Alt-X. Same example: decimal 8212 is hex
2014, so in Word you type 2014 and then key Alt-X to get an em dash.
(That particular character is easier to get by Ctrl-Alt-minus, using
the numeric keypad minus not the alphabetic hyphen.)

All the above assumes that your current font actually includes the
necessary character. Practice with Alt-0233 or E9 Alt-X, which is é
(acute accent e) -- that should be in nearly all Windows fonts these
days.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/