Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CrestaBrab CrestaBrab is offline

Default formatting numbers imported from excel in mailmerge

There is a brilliant solution from Peter Jamieson on 9/9/2009 in an earlier
post. Obviously my search query wasn't great, otherwise I would have found
the solution. For other people with the same problem, look at the post; it
solved my problem and I am grateful for the happy bonus of being able to tap
into other people's expertise and knowledge. thank you.

"CrestaBrab" wrote:

I am doing a mailmerge in Office 2007 with data imported from an excel
spreadsheet where one of the spreadsheet fields is calculated (to give a rate
of exchange). The problem is that the word documents returns a figure to 10
decimal places. I have tried:
a) putting the calculation in one column and then used ROUNDUP to convert
the number to 2 decimal places and using that column for the field. (Word
just returns 10 decimals)
b) Changing the document parameters in Word Options _Advanced - General -
confirm file format conversion on open. Same thing
c) Saving the spreadsheet and closing it. Saving the Word Doc and closing
it. Re-opening the word file and re-confirming the spreadsheet. Same thing.
d) Rebooting my laptop and re-opening the files. Same thing.

I am getting v frustrated - going through 300 merged letters and deleting 8
digits (and search and replace is not an option, there are too many
variables) is too horrible to contemplate. This must have happened to other
people and I'm sure there's a solution.... but, boy, would I be incredibly
grateful to know what it is.
thank you.