Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Problems with Microsoft Office Word 2007

That is correct reaction: when the Data Key is deleted, it is automatically
recreated when Word is restarted (but it will be fresh and uncorrupted).

To resolve the other part of the problem, you need to find normal.dotm and
rename it normal.bad. Presuming you are using Word 2007 in Vista, you will
find the file in:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templa tes

With Word closed, use Windows Explorer to get to the Templates folder above,
select normal.dotm, right-click and choose Rename; then change it to
normal.bad. Whilst in that folder, if you see ANY templates or files
starting with a ~ character, delete them.

Now test Word again.

Terry

"Wendy" wrote in message
I went into the registry, but I did not change anything within there, so
no damage has appeared. All I have done now, is exactly what you have
asked me to do which is to delete "Data" in "Word" within the registry. I
have done this three times and rebooted three times and after deleting the
"Data" each time, it comes back when I reboot thus, still leaving the
problem.

Can you think what else it could be?

Thank you

W.