Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Default mail merge problem with Zip codes

See the relevant section of http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

Steve wrote:
Hey,

I have Access 2002 and Word 2002.

My problem lies with doing a mail merge from an Access file
containing names and addresses. (Yes, it's my Christmas list. I'm
late again this year. Sigh.) Anyway, for a number of my records I
have a 9 digit zip code. For the rest it's 5 digit, of course, since
I live in the US. For most of these records the 9 digit zip will
emerge from mail merge as 123456789 instead of 12345-6789. Access
formats it correctly and even accepts, indeed insists, on taking just
the numbers.
Is there some way to get the mailing labels to format the zip
correctly? As it is, I merge into a new document and fix the long
zips manually.
TIA,

Steve