Richard_Ong Richard_Ong is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Ms. Mitchell, your fix worked like a charm. I did use the "detect and repair" feature under Help but I think the fix for using the Document Map is what did it. It so happens that I never use DM but day before yesterday I happened to come across a reference to it and, since I have such a long document that's a little hard to navigate at times, I thought I'd look at it again to see if it offered a better solution to my navigation needs.

I think DM did a lot of damage as I was having to go thru every page of the document to the ctrl-shift-N command to make particular lines of "normal" style text stop showing up in the TOC. It actually got so bad when I would update the TOC field to find the next erroneous entry that the TOC lost all its formatting (indents, leaders, bolding).

All appears to be well now and even the problematic text I hadn't gotten to now behaves and has disappeared from the TOC without further effort on my part.

Blessings on you and yours.

[quote=Larissa25;194649]Wow! Thanks a million! Yay for being able to blame it on a glitch and not
user-error (at least, that's what I'll tell myself). That was really helpful,
and I appreciate the detailed info.
-Larissa

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:
[color=blue][i]
This may be the fault of using the Document Map. You'll find some fixes for
that issue here, including a quick way to remove outline levels from body
text, and a quick way to exclude that text from the TOC.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/DocumentMap.htm