Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Joyce Yamada Joyce Yamada is offline

Default 2 diff. page numbers per page in header/footer?

I am creating a template document which requires each page be numbered
consecutively in the Footer and each Section be uniquely paginated. Thus,
ideally, the Header would contain the section page numbering, "Section Page #
of ##" and the Footer would have the entire document's sequential page
numbers "Document Page # of ##".

Each of the Section pages would begin with "Section Page 1 of (total # of
pages in the Section)".

I've tried 2 approaches:
a.) Section pagination in the Header- page numbers to be entered manually;
Doc. pagination in the Footer, pages entered "automatically" (via
Header/Footer Toolbar).
Problem: each Header must be different, due to page numbers, so each page
needs to stand on its own. I tried removing the "Same as Previous" from each
Header/Footer, but this doesn't work, because even though the page numbers
are entered manually, the subsequent pages are the same. Seemingly the only
way this approach could work is if I make each page its own section, however,
it becomes a nightmare for my template users, who have very limited Word
knowledge. When they enter or delete sections during revisions, the
formatting needs to be fixed, because the "Section Break (Next Page" moves
down the document with additions, etc.

b: Document pagination inserted in the Footer; Section pagination as the
first line on each page, separated from text by solid line.
Problem: similar to above in that with additional text, the first line
containing the page numbers moves down the page. Again, the users don't know
how to fix the formatting when they see this.

I'd appreciate any assistance/ideas etc. on solving this.