FWIW, I had an old document containing two tables with identical formatting
separated by some text. I deleted the text and could not get the tables to
join. Neither was floating; neither was nested. They were just very ordinary
(two-column, borderless) tables. I was on deadline and so just did what I
had to do to make the results work, but I'm still curious about what sort of
odd corruption was causing the problem. For some reason we're seeing a lot
more reports of that sort of thing in Word 2003.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:25:01 -0800, "stacynagyvary" stacyvary wrote:

After splitting a table, I used to be able to unsplit it by deleting the
paragraph mark between the 2 tables. Now that I have upgraded to Word

2003,
I can't join the two tables back up again. When I try to delete the
paragraph that separates the two tables, it keeps it as two separate

tables.
I would like it to be able to joing the two tables again.

When you delete the paragraph, do the tables move together but appear
to have a heavier border between them, as if each is contributing a
separate border? And moving the edges of the columns in one doesn't
move them in the other?

It's possible that one of the tables has been changed to floating
(like a text box), which is easy to do accidentally. Put the cursor in
each table in turn, go to Table Table Properties, and make sure the
text wrapping is set to None instead of Around.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman