Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default table of contents is getting corrupted in Word XP (2003 )

If the text is getting into the TOC, then presumably it appears somewhere in
the document. Select the text in the document and see if it has a heading
style applied. If so, applying a body text style should solve the problem,
and it will not appear when you update the TOC. If you don't see the text in
the document, then it's possible it's in a TC field, which will appear if
you display Hidden text.

"Lynn McGuire" wrote in message
Or inside the bookmark for one of the headings.

I haven't looked at your document, but you probably have the text in

the
first chapter in one of the Styles Heading1, 2 or 3 that is being used

construct the table of contents.

How does one detect and remove this corrupted text ?

Note, this problem only started occuring when I upgraded from Word 2000
to Word 2003 !

Thanks,
Lynn McGuire