Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default DDE connection w/ Access & Word 2007

The Word
doc the message is referencing is clearly a temporary file, as it is most
definitely not the actual file name, and changes each time I try opening
it.

Yes, this is how Word, or Vista, seems to work now - it seems to regard
accessing network files as being similar to downloading via Internet
Explorer. I've always rather hoped that we are not in fact dealing with at
least three different views of how to check security (Windows networking's
view, Word's "Trusted locations view", and IE's view, but it's not beyond
the bounds of possibility.

If I try a .doc that was only ever edited in Word XP, I get a different
message, and this is what led me to try converting everything to the
Office
2007 versions in the first place.

Here, it is OK, but there is a difference. If I set up a new document on Win
XP/Office XP using DDE, Access XP opens the .mdb and makes the connection
fine.

However, when I go back to my Vista/Word 2007 environment and open the Word
file, I can see Access 2007 searching for the file dao360.dll. It takes
quite a long time to complete. Then it opens the file and presents the query
prompt. It's difficult to tell whether it actually finds dao360.dll or not,
but it is on my system (in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft
shared\DAO ). So it is also possible that in some cases Access is "timing
out" looking for that file. In that case, with a DDE connection, I would
normally expect Word to show its "connection is taking longer than
expected - do you want to wait" prompt, but perhaps some other factor is
coming into play here.

I don't know what to suggest at this point. The only thing I can think of is
to try to move towards a solution based on OLE DB rather than DDE, and at
this point I do not know how feasible that is. It would at the very least
involve some VBA coding, some prompts issued by Word, and knowledge of
exactly what parameters were expected by the Access Query.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"mariacle" wrote in message
If I try a .doc that was only ever edited in Word XP, I get a different
message, and this is what led me to try converting everything to the
Office
2007 versions in the first place. The error message I get with the XP
files
is: "D78907BC.doc is a mail merge main document. Word cannot find its
data
source \\hfadc01\shareddocs\...\omega.mdb."

From what I can see of the path to the database, it is correct. The Word
doc the message is referencing is clearly a temporary file, as it is most
definitely not the actual file name, and changes each time I try opening
it.

From this point, the only option that works is to remove all merge info
and
start over, but then if I save it and re-open it, I get the DDE connection
error that started this whole thread.