Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Selection locked

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:33:01 -0700, Getting Frustrated Getting
wrote:

Hi- I have exceeded my 60-day trial of Microsoft Office 2007 and now when I
try to type in a new document it states "This modification is not allowed
because the selection is locked". I can open and view files but cannot copy
and paste, or use any other function. Do I have to purchase this product, or
is there another way to use the limited features?

I won't get into the "well, it WAS just a trial" argument, as I'm sure
you're well aware of that. If the files you created in Office 2007
were saved in the new XML-based formats (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx and so
forth), you have a number of options:

- Buy a copy of Office 2007. The least expensive way is usually to buy
the Home and Student edition from an online vendor such as Amazon.com.
Use a search engine to compare prices.

- If you had an older version of Office (Office 2000 or later, with
the latest service packs), reinstall it. Then download and install the
Compatibility Pack from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-C6BB74CD1466
which will give you the ability to read and edit the documents and
re-save them in the older formats. It won't give you any of the newest
features, such as SmartArt or content controls.

- Install the free OpenOffice from www.openoffice.org. Version 3 can
read (but not save) the new formats from Microsoft Office. The page at
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/...ngMSO2007Files
lists a number of other ways to open Microsoft's newer formats.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman