Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Converting all old Office Files to 2007 format

Why bother converting them? Word 2007 will open them and edit them as they
are?

StefanKZVB wrote:
Jeff,

yes, it's a bug not a feature. Problem is who will ever really clean
up the mess of duplicate files on the network storage with hundreds
or thousands ? What's your suggestion?

It's also documented what to do to get the feature you need:
Simply click on "Save as" instead of "Save" after clicking on
"Convert" - so there will be .docx and .doc files. But for Clicking
on "Save" it's documented to delete the old .doc.

And if the cause of the bug is i.e. some file-locking problem of Word
2007 on network storage it might cause other problems! I think I
already experienced another issue related to this. It can make work
harder for developers of .dotm-Word-Addins.

Stefan

"Jeff Mathewson" wrote:

Stefan,

I don't see this as a bug. But when doing a fast check, I see that
it is one..but a very good bug. In that we are doing massive
conversions and need to keep the DOC files, so as you can guess,
converting and keeping the DOC files is good unlike Excel which does
delete the files - which doesn't seem to have as many conversion
problems as Word 2007 does.

The big question is, is this really a bug, or something MS removed.
I've been finding converting from other versions of Word isn't going
all that well and if we lost the DOC files it would be a mess..MS
may have seen this as well and removed the auto delete for Word????
At the end, I hope that they DO NOT fix this bug.

Jeff.
"StefanKZVB" wrote in message
Hi Jeff,

the old .doc files remain on the network storage after conversion
by the user to .docx-format.

Please have a look here for the steps to reproduce the problem:

Word 2007: Convert Doc to Docx problem on network locations

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1

Can you reproduce the problem in your environment?

Stefan

"Jeff Mathewson" wrote:

What issue are you having with the network and Word 2007? Your
posts didn't really state the problem..and I would be interested
to know if it's something like what we may be having with Word
2007.