Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
James Woodward - Brisbane Australia[_2_] James Woodward - Brisbane Australia[_2_] is offline

Default Add page tabs to Word (like Excel)

Hi Tony Jollans [I assume that you are a Microsoft employee [are you?]] - In
reply to your comments:

- If Microsoft think that €˜document part tabs are a great idea in One Note
and Excel why do you not think that they would be a great addition to Word?

- The document navigation facilities in Word that you refer to [Document
Map, Outline View, Browse by Section, etc.] are not easy to use €“ simple tabs
[like in One Note and Excel] would be much better [these could be toggles on
and off and user defined].

James Woodward - Brisbane Australia

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

Most requests for tabs in Word are for Document tabs (rather than 'document
part' tabs) which are not analagous to Excel worksheet tabs at all - and
none of which, incidentally, I would support.

At least here you are suggesting something more potentally viable. There
are, however, already document navigation facilities - Document Map, Outline
View, Browse by Section, etc. What more do you want? Documents can be
constructed in many ways and, whilst there may be a sort of tab that suits
you in a particular circumstance, would it be the same as the sort of tab
that woud suit another user, or suit you in another circumstance?

It often seems to me that people want all programs to provide what they
perceive as being similar interfaces without appreciating the distinctions
between the programs and the objects they manipulate. Excel workbooks have
a relatively simple structure that lends itself to tabs. OneNote has
navigation aids all round but, its notebooks are structurally different
from - and, in many ways, more rigid than - Word documents, which are free
flowing amorphous entities, to which you apply different structures for
different purposes.

Just my twopenn'orth.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"James Woodward - Brisbane Australia" James Woodward - Brisbane
wrote in message
I also agree with Mark Thompson and J Hardy's suggestions. Microsoft
One
Note now has this ability which is fantastic but One Note does not allow
the
insertion of Excel tables - which I use a lot in my word documents. I'd
like to have tabs at the bottom of a word document [like in Excel] to
easily
split my documents up in to chapters, topics, sections etc.

James Woodward - Brisbane Australia

"J Hardy" wrote:

I agree to the tabs feature. Like Excel you would create Word books or
something similar. While there are other programs to prepare manuals,
etc,
Word having such a big following, would allow a writer, or specifier or a
manual maker, ( Authors) to divide the manual into chapters, or create a
Mail
Merge withoher programs to provide cover letters, etc...

I think this would be easier to teach than scrolling thru 200 plus pages
of
text to find information, etc.

Great idea. i had an epiphany and I am glad some people are thinking the
same thing.

Thank you

"Mark Thompson" wrote:

Now that IE 7 has the concept of Tabs, and Excel has the concept of
multiple
Sheets in one workbook, I'd like to suggest that Word incoroporate that
same
functionality.

It would be really nice to be able to create tabs, or "chapters", in a
Word
document, and to be able to move quickly and easily between chapters by
clicking on their tabs, just like clicking on the tab for an Excel
sheet.
Chapters in a book, sections in a proposal, pages in a briefing book, I
can
think of several uses. Each chapter, or section, or whatever you want
call it, would have a tab across the top of the work area.

This could also help with paging during printing. Perhaps an option
for
each tab/chapter could be "Always start printing the information on
this tab
at the top of a printed page".

Thank you.

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.