Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default wants to capitalize the first letter in the first word of ever

That's what I said ... "go in and fix it individually."

On Mar 28, 10:16*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
That setting is global, however, so it will affect all new documents, and
changing it will have no effect on existing documents.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"grammatim" wrote in message

The "capitalize first word of sentence" you mention in your first
message should take care of it -- if you're using documents that you
didn't create from your own template where you turned it off, it's
probably still turned on in them, and you can go in and fix it
individually.

On Mar 27, 11:25 pm, Closed Office

wrote:
OK, sorry I have to apologize. Two of you were right. I just went through
few docs to double check and it isn't happening with natural organic word
wrap. The one docx I found with that happening was an article I had pasted
with lines that were not full length. I guess they had been ended by
hitting
enter.

I might be wrong again but I thought it was happening when I was typing
without hitting enter, at least sometimes. I am a bit wrecked and don't
get a
day off until Tuesday, so won't get into work with Word until then.

But is there a way to stop Word from wanting to capitalize the shorter
lines? I don't understand why that is happening.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You really should not be getting that AutoCorrect or grammar hints if
you're
letting lines wrap naturally. If you are, then this is a bug that should
be
reported and investigated.

http://word.mvps.org

"Closed Office" wrote in
message
news I'm not at all a big fan of white space and don't hit enter until I am
at
the
end of a paragraph, usually about 4 or 5 lines for me. That is always
before
the start of a new paragraph and I always do capitalize that. The Word
urge
to capitalize does happen on lines started by regular word wrap. I
don't
quite want to turn off the check grammar feature because I do get
useful
suggestions from it that I do appreciate.

I do appreciate that the possibility was worth checking out though.
Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Word wouldn't want to capitalize the first word of every line if it
were
not
the beginning of a paragraph. It assumes that the beginning of a
paragraph
is also the beginning of a sentence. If you don't want to start a new
paragraph, then don't press Enter. Either let the line wrap naturally
or,
if
you must start a new line before it wraps, use a line break
(Shift+Enter)
instead. And if you don't want to see the green squiggles, turn off
"Check
grammar as you type."

http://word.mvps.org

"Closed Office" wrote in
message
I have even turned off the "capitalize first word of sentence" to
try to
get
rid of this but it is still following me around. There is a green
sawtooth
line under the first word of each line. On some docs it is the
first
word
of
every line that isn't capitalized already, on others it is just a
few
random
first words.

When I rt click on it, it wants to capitalize the first word of a
sentence.

And just to add a general comment, this whole word program is just
way
too
complicated and way more than I need. I spend a lot of time
straightening
out
things it wants to do and I don't. I had a Mac and did not fall in
love
with
it. It was a bit of a lemon, but one thing I really liked about it
was
TextEdit, a simple word processing program that did everything I
needed.
When
I did have it, I really did not need word and never even thought of
getting
it.

Pardon the grouch, but it is getting to be a pain.--