Lauren

Default unable to open encoded files

I have several documents I am trying to open but I am unable to because they
are encoded. When attempting to open in Word, the File Conversion window
appears but none of the options make the documents ledgible. I don't know
what application the documents were originally created in [they are all
approx 3-4 years old],but they will not open in WordPad, NotePad or
WordPerfect. I have re-installed Office2k3 on my pc and installed the Batch
File Conversion Wizard. This does not help. I don't think it is a
permissions issue. Please help.. Thank You in advance.