Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Lock position of text box but allow editing its content

One approach for this is a two-column table (starting a new row for each
paragraph), but see also http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MarginalText.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"bassadi" wrote in message
Yes I am trying to add comments (not the built-in comments function in
Word -
my own commentary on the text). The requirement is actually not
necessarily a
text box. I just need to be able to make comments to the right of the
body,
and I need them to be aligned.

Picture it like a strip of commentary going down the RHS of a 20 page
document. If it were 1 page, I would just make a 2-column layout, with the
thinner column to the right for comments (which would also allow me to
align
the comments). However, with a multi-page doc, columns would not work in
this
way, unless the continuity of the LEFT column is independent of that of
the
RIGHT column - make sense?

If there is any way at all, perhaps using Fields or Quick Parts or Forms
or
anything more advanced, please advise. I'd prefer not to have to code, but
if
that's the only way, please let me know.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Unfortunately no. Both Text boxes and Frames are anchored to a paragraph.
As
long as that paragraph stays on that page, the Text Box or Frame can be
positioned exactly wrt the page. However, if you edit the page text
sufficiently so that the anchor paragraph moves to the page before or
after,
the Text Box will follow it (although it stays in the same relative
position
wrt the page.

Are you trying to add side notes or something?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"bassadi" wrote in message
Hello, this is my first time using this forum.

I've read several posts on locking text boxes, but my question is
unique.
want to lock the position of the text box (so I don't accidentally move
it
later), but I still want to be able to type in it. The box is along the
RHS
of my page, and I'd prefer not to Protect the document.

Is there any way to do this? Perhaps I could scrap the text box and use
separate column? But the text in the new column is separate from the
body,
so
it can't be like an ordinary 2-column page.

Any help is greatly appreciated...