Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default how do i get an asterisk for 1st footnote and numbers after th

Hey Suzanne,

re the old, original post--

In MacWord 2004, I can use a custom mark to get the first asterisk, and
then switch to AutoNumber after that, starting at 1, no section breaks
required. Does that not work in WinWord?

Daiya

I have found two ways to do this. Neither is a very satisfactory workaround,
and both have drawbacks.

Method 1 will work only if your document does not require any section breaks
(that is, it's all in one section to begin with):

1. Insert your first footnote, selecting the *, €*, €¡ series of marks.

2. Insert a Continuous section break somewhere between that footnote and the
next.

3. When you insert the next footnote, change to the 1, 2, 3 numbering.
Choose "This section" under "Apply to" and "Restart each section" under
Numbering.

Method 2 will work only if you have a numbered footnote on the same page
with the author-name asterisked footnote:

1. Type an asterisk manually after the author's name.

2. Insert Footnote 1 normally.

3. Move the insertion point to the beginning of Footnote 1 (before the
reference number) and press Enter.

4. In the new paragraph, type an asterisk and your author note. Note that
this will be part of Footnote 1 and will move with it, which is why you must
have Footnote 1 on the same page.

"bfjplt" wrote in message

In a scholarly article the authors name is footnoted with an asterisk and
footnote gives a brief bio of the author. The next footnote starts with
number 1 and is consecutive after that. How do I get that 1st footnote to

be

an asterisk and the next and subsequent ones to be numbers?
Thanks