Another way that will work, confirming my long-held view that one of the
hardest things to learn about Word is how to decide among several different,
sometimes equally attractive (at least initially), ways of accomplishing the
same thing.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Cheat. Insert the asterisk manually and use a textbox for the asterisked
info. Switch off the textbox border, anchor it to the author's name, and
position it absolutely at the foot of the page, above the real footnotes.

"bfjplt" wrote in message
In a scholarly article the authors name is footnoted with an asterisk

and
footnote gives a brief bio of the author. The next footnote starts with
number 1 and is consecutive after that. How do I get that 1st footnote

be
an asterisk and the next and subsequent ones to be numbers?
Thanks