Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

Default HELP - Styles

Unless users are updating styles by example, which also makes it
possible to turn on the auto updating (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html), I don't
know what could cause this.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jackie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for gettting back to me Stefan. my heading 1 is based on no
style and the subsequent headings based on the one before.
Automatically update is not ticked in any of them. It seems to

happen
most often to heading 3. Is there a setting a user can have ticked

in
their options that enables them to update styles when they apply

direct
formatting. As I mentioned before - it seems to be that they apply
director formatting, then this sticks to the style and it applies in
that format each time they use after that. By the time they contact

me
the damage has been done.