Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Default WORD tries to connect to the INTERNET (12.158.80.10)

On 21-Feb-2007, Jean-Pierre wrote:

After having made several trials, among which uninstall /
reinstall OFFICE, I found a remnant of "MathType". I
uninstalled
it and, apparently, the tentative connexion did occur no more.

"MathType" is an equation editor that insist on installing
itself on a free-30 days trial basis when one uses the
standard equation editor. But I found it brings little to
the standard equation editor, so I did not buy its licence.
Apparently this remnant caused the tentative INTERNET
connection. Note that the tentative NET connexion
happened even for "new" documents, having no
equations whatsoever.

Jean-Pierre, the IP address you mention is in fact Verisign, as
other people have mentioned in this thread. Office apparently
uses IE's certificate revocation list mechanism for digital
signatures. If the your system is configured to automatically
check the certificate revocation list, it will do so not only for
IE, but also for Office apps as well. Here's a document that
specifies what Office actually does and how it's configured...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...403081033.aspx

So the bottom line this has nothing to do with MathType.

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide