Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Word2007 not showing font right. CorelX3 does. New Vista machi

This is going to be difficult to explain -
http://www.gmayor.com/where_are_my_fonts.htm may help.

With Word the printer driver is an essential component of the document
formatting. Word interrogates the printer driver and will only allow
formatting that the driver is capable of providing.

The printer itself is irrelevant in that it is the printer driver that
determines the formatting and what can be displayed in Word. The printer
itself does not need to be present.

Other applications (even Microsoft Office applications) frequently address
the printer directly and with such applications the driver has less
influence on the process.

Without knowing what the font is, it is difficult to suggest why it will not
display - the driver, may for example, be switched to display only TrueType
fonts, or the font in question may only be a display font.

Windbag wrote:
I am listening, but it seems I am not understanding.

You say "Whether other applications can use the font is irrelevant."
Why?

You also say:
"Word can only use fonts that the active printer driver is capable of
printing."

If it prints the font from other MSOffice2007 applications, in what
way is it not "capable" of printing the font?

If Excel and Powerpoint, which use the same driver, can
understand/display/print the font right, why can't/doesn't Word?
More importantly, what in earth is user supposed to do about it?
I'm using the updated Vista driver from Xerox, and if it works in the
likes if Excel2007, they are hardly likely to shoulder the "issue",
as there is a reasonable case to say there is nothing fundamentally
wrong with their driver, nor, presumably, the font.

If I didn't have a printer at all (yes, I know some are built in to
Vista) would Word refuse to show any new fonts at all?

Without a handle on what the problem is, Word2007 is, for me,
fundamentally flawed at the moment.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You are not listening!

This has nothing whatsoever to do with your printer. It has
everything to do with the way Word addresses printer drivers.
Word can only use fonts that the active printer driver is capable of
printing. Word interrogates the driver far more closely than other
applications. Whether other applications can use the font is
irrelevant. The issue concerns not the printer but the *driver*!!!