Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Need Help From Word Experts

As others have told you, you should not have different versions of the same
heading style. If in certain cases you absolutely have to change the
formatting of a specific paragraph in the given style, you can do that
without changing the style or creating a new style. If Word (2002 or 2003)
appears to be creating a new style, realize that this is not a style, just
formatting; you will not see these variations if you clear the check box for
"Keep track of formatting" on the Edit tab of Tools | Options.

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I think you still don't understand. You don't create a new level 2 style
based on Heading 2 (or anything else). You use the built-in Heading 2

style
modified to suit your purposes. If you want Heading 2 to have 6 pts

Space
Before and After, then modify it accordingly.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Doing what you describe I would end up with *multiple Heading 2
Styles*. This is what my document now has. The problem I have is how to
name the Heading 2 Style to describe what it does (Heading 2 to have 6
pts Space Before and After, Heading 2 to have 6pts Space After, etc. )
so that the my Heading 2 Style names are *not changed* by MS Word. I
also am unclear on what to do when different styles follow an instance
of a Heading 2 Style.

When I do this in Open Office Writer it does not change my Heading 2
Style names like MS World does.

Jon Banquer
Phoenix, Arizona