Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default cross reference

If the cross-referenced items are preceded by manual page breaks, this is
probably causing the issue.

The reason is that each cross-reference (REF) field depends on a hidden
bookmark enclosing the cross-referenced item. And adding manual page breaks
at the beginning of a bookmarked item causes the bookmark to expand, so that
it includes the break, which will then be part of the cross-reference.

To fix this issue: Delete any page breaks added at the beginning of the
cross-referenced paragraphs, and use "Page break before" paragraph
formatting instead. Then update the cross-references.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul Williams" wrote in message
I have hundreds of cross references in my document. Every time I update the
TOC, save the file, or convert it to PDF (all actions which update the
references) the cross reference bounces to a new page. Please help!