In a Jam

Default Word is puts page number on wrong side of botttom of page

When I insert page numbers on my documents for bottom Right, Microsoft Word
(office 2000 professional version) is putting them on bottom Left. This just
started to happen over the pasr 6 months. All I've done to the program was
download updates when available from microsoft. I thought word was confused
as to where the right and left were but if I set it to bottom left it puts
them where they belong, on left. How can I get Word to put the page numbers
on the bottom Right, when I tell it to do it on new documents? Has anyone
else had this problem?