Dave R.

Actually it does this whether I double click on it from explorer, or open
Word and then go to fileopen.

Here is a picture of the file conversion box that pops up, if that can offer
any clue..

http://immunizecaadults.org/images/fileconversion.jpg

Thanks.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
I'm assuming that you used File | Open while that dialog was set to

Recover
Text from Any File, because I think that's what it sounds like.

There is no file format difference between Mac and win, as GnO said. No
converter or special software is necessary. If you can't double-click and
open the Mac-created doc, try manually adding a .doc to the end if it
doesn't have one.

On 7/8/05 2:48 PM, "Dave R." wrote:

Hi Garfield. I do have a recent version, Office 2003 actually. Maybe I

am
missing some software component?

I will try the viewer anyhow, thanks.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote in

message
I'm assuming you do not have any version of Microsoft Word
installed on your computer. Recent versions of MacWord files are
the same format as WinWord files, so you should be able to
download and install the Word 2003 Viewer from
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=889347, and use the viewer to
open the MacWord file. The viewer allows you to open, view, and
print Word files, but you will not be allowed to edit Word files.

Dave R. wrote:

Hi - a colleague has sent me a document which brings up an "encoding"

prompt
when I open it. The top part of the document has a bunch of squares

and
other strange characters. I can read at the bottom of the characters

that
Microsoft Word 10.1 was used, and I know a Mac was used.

Is there a way to view it on a Windows XP machine? A converter maybe?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/