Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
TedMi[_2_] TedMi[_2_] is offline

Default how to setup a letterhead that does not print

A non-VBA option that uses view and print option settings to toggle graphic
printing is described he
www.mirecki.us/computing See the link Hiding / printing graphics
-TedMi

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The only answer if you want to have only some graphics and text printed is
to format the unwanted graphics and text as white colour (in the case of
the graphics this means adjusting the brightness to 100%). You could then
use vba intercept the print routine to toggle the display, print the
document then toggle it back again. or run the macro from a toolbar button
in the template The exact code will rather depend on your template, your
printer and what exactly is in the header(s) that you want to hide, but
the following should give you a start. Note that the macro only affects
the header (the first page header if it exists). If you want to hide
footers, you will have to treat them separately.

Sub PrintLetter()
Dim oHeader As Range
Dim i As Long
If ActiveDocument.Sections(1).Headers(wdHeaderFooterF irstPage).Exists Then
Set oHeader =
ActiveDocument.Sections(1).Headers(wdHeaderFooterF irstPage).Range
Else
Set oHeader =
ActiveDocument.Sections(1).Headers(wdHeaderFooterP rimary).Range
End If
With oHeader
.Font.Color = wdColorWhite
For i = .ShapeRange.Count To 1 Step -1
If .ShapeRange(i).Type = msoAutoShape Then
.ShapeRange(i).Fill.Visible = msoFalse
Else
.ShapeRange(i).PictureFormat.Brightness = 1#
End If
Next i
For i = .InlineShapes.Count To 1 Step -1
.InlineShapes(i).PictureFormat.Brightness = 1#
Next i
End With
ActiveDocument.PrintOut
With oHeader
.Font.Color = wdColorAutomatic
For i = .ShapeRange.Count To 1 Step -1
If .ShapeRange(i).Type = msoAutoShape Then
.ShapeRange(i).Fill.Visible = msoTrue
Else
.ShapeRange(i).PictureFormat.Brightness = 0.5
End If
Next i
For i = .InlineShapes.Count To 1 Step -1
.InlineShapes(i).PictureFormat.Brightness = 0.5
Next i
End With
End Sub

scottsanders wrote:
Thanks for your comments Doug, but that's not quite what I am after.
In essence, I would love the option to be able to make my document
look like my letter head, without it printing the same letter head on
top of my preprinted letter head. It would be great if there was
something like a stationary option where I could just choose an A4
sized image I'd made (to look like my A4 stationary) and set it as
the document background, but that background wouldn't print. Does
this option exists? Some people may be thinking its not necessary,
and your solution is what I'd already setup, but I would like to be
able to have it look like the actual A4 stationary letterhead I use,
not just work when I print it. Does this make sense?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsof" wrote:

Anchor a textbox in the header of the document and set its size and
textwrapping such that the text does not overlap your pre-printed
letterhead.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.