Tino

There are many different types of extensions, all are ASCII files, many are
created on a unix machine but not all. Some extensions are .tt, .bu,
..xxxxxx, .txt, etc. It doesn't seem to matter what the extension is, if it's
not registered to word then word opens the file as new document.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
What extension does the file have then?

Terry

"Tino" wrote in message
:I do have extensions displayed and I'm not trying to open .dot files.
:
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: Well what you are opening must be a template (dot) and the default
action
: is
: for Word to open a new document from a template: hence Document1
displays.
: Why haven't your files got extensions? If you display the extensions,
you
: may then see what type of files they are. It sometimes prevents the
: accidental opening of viruses too. From just the security aspect, it
is
: plain bonkers to hide file extensions.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
:
: "Tino" wrote in message
: ...
: : From your reply maybe you still think I'm trying to open the file
from
: : within Word. I'm not trying to open a file with Word already open.
In
: "my
: : computer" window I select the file I want to open & then "right
click"
: on
: it
: : to get either "open" or "open with" and then I choose a program with
: which
: : to open the file. I did some further experimenting and found that if
: use
: : Wordpad or Notepad to open the file the file will be opened with
it's
: : correct name and in the correct location. The problem seems confined
: : Word.
: :
: :
: :
: : "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: : ...
: : If you're sure you're choosing Open and not New, then I have no
idea
: what
: : might be going wrong.
: :
: : --
: : Suzanne S. Barnhill
: : Microsoft MVP (Word)
: : Words into Type
: : Fairhope, Alabama USA
: : Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: : Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
: newsgroup
: : so
: : all may benefit.
: :
: : "Tino" wrote in message
: : ...
: : I'm just using the mouse to "right click" on a file, right click
only
: : gives
: : "ope" or "open with". I'm not trying to open a file from within
word.
: I
: : can
: : only files from within word OK but that's not what I want to do
as
: have
: : use word to "browse" to the file.
: :
: : "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: : ...
: : Are you sure you're choosing Open rather than New? The behavior
you
: : describe
: : is what you would experience if you were choosing New.
: :
: : --
: : Suzanne S. Barnhill
: : Microsoft MVP (Word)
: : Words into Type
: : Fairhope, Alabama USA
: : Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: : Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
: : newsgroup
: : so
: : all may benefit.
: :
: : "Tino" wrote in message
: : ...
: : I'm not sure if this is a WORD problem or an XP problem.
: :
: : I have recently upgraded from NT to XP (service pack 2). I
also
: have
: : WORD97.
: : When I open a file which doesn't have a .DOC extension with
WORD
: by
: : using
: : "right click & OPEN" and then choosing WORD it opens the file
OK
: but
: : it
: : displays a file name of "DOCUMENT 1" and treats the file as if
it
: were
: : a
: : new
: : file. When I go to save the file it is as if I am saving a new
: file
: : with
: : the
: : default directory of "MY DOCUMENTS". With NT I didn't have
this
: : problem.
: : Non
: : .DOC files would be opened with their correct file name and
could
: back
: : in
: : their original format in their original directory. Is there a
fix
: for
: : this
: : problem?