Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ThirtySix Software ThirtySix Software is offline

Default Potential MAJOR bug in KB969604?

KB969604 for Word 2007 was released on 6/8 and was installed on my machine a
couple days ago. Since then, any time I save a document in Word 2007, any
document variables in the document become corrupt. If I uninstall KB969604
then the problem goes away. When I reinstall KB969604 the problem comes back.

With KB969604 uninstalled, doc variables are properly saved in the
settings.xml file as below:

w:docVarsw:docVar w:name="MyVar" w:val="This is a test value for a
variable"//w:docVars

However, with KB969604 installed, doc variables become corrupted when saved.
For example:

w:docVarsw:docVar w:name="MyVar"
w:val="d???_?????????Ä?????????????"//w:docVars

We've been able to reproduce this on multiple machines.

You can use the steps below to reproduce this:

* See if this KB is installed (it was released on 6/8) ... if not, it can be
installed from he

* Open a Word 2007 doc and create a doc variable ... you can do this by
creating a simple macro from the Developer tab, then execute the macro ...
the macro just needs to be this:

Sub Macro1()
ActiveDocument.Variables.Add Name:="MyVar", Value:="This is a test value
for a variable"
End Sub

* Save and close your doc ... change the file extension to "zip" and unzip
it ... open the "~/word/settings.xml" file and see if your variable is valid
or not.

* If it's corrupted, then uninstall the KB from Add/Remove programs (make
sure the "Show updates" checkbox is selected at the top of the dialog).

* Repeat the above steps with a new doc and see if your variable is corrupted.

If this is a defect, then it's a major one as all doc variables become
corrupted on save. Note that the variables only become corrupted on save ...
in memory, the variables are fine ... it's only when the docx is written out
that they become corrupted.

Can others reproduce this?