Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.numbering
John John is offline

Default Why is my List Style reset?

Word 2007 SP1

XP Pro SP2

Problem: Why is my List Style reset?

Problem: How to export my List Style.

By the way, the original message was formatted in plaintext by mistake.

I tried to delete it, but it may still appear on the server for awhile.

I defined a new List Style called MyListStyle as follows:

Home tab | Paragraph section | Multilevel List dropdown | Define New List Styles ...

MyListStyle now appears in the Multilevel List dropdown in the List Styles section.

I right mouse click and select Modify to edit it.

The Modify Style dialog appears.

I click the Format button and select Numbering...

The Modify Multilevel List dialog appears.

For the "Link level to style" combo list, I select Heading 1.

I do this for the other levels i.e. Heading 2, etc.

So far so good. I can make headings which are formatted the way I like.

I noticed the following bad news. Suppose I go to the Multilevel List dropdown and use one of the canned lists in the List Library section. The headings change as expected. If I then go back to the List Styles and use my MyListStyle style, nothing works. Why? If you look at the Modify Multilevel List dialog for my MyListStyle style, the "Link level to style" are no longer Heading 1, but have been reset to "(no style)". In theory, I should be able to switch between my custom list style and the canned multilevel list styles without it resetting my list style from Heading 1, etc to "no styles". Why does this occur and is there a way to prevent it?

It is also unclear how to move MyListStyle to another document. If I copy a few headings in my current document and paste them into a second document, using Keep Source Formatting, MyListStyle is not there.

Thank you for the feedback.