Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default I suspect it's just one of those weird Word things.-- Suzanne S.

Word simply doesn't support small caps formatting for paragraph numbers (even if those "numbers" may contain static text as well). It appears to be a design choice rather than a bug.

As a workaround, you could format the number as uppercase and in a smaller font (say 12 pt if the font of the rest of the paragraph is 14 pt). It'll make the formatting look a little better. The alternative is to abandon small caps formatting for all of your headings.

Also, note that most people posting here don't work for Microsoft. In particular, MVPs don't.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Marie Gee" wrote in message ...

Actually, "it's just one of those weird Word things" is a completely unacceptable answer. It's a glitch to put it nicely. A programmer didn't do his or her job fully.

We (people who do documents for a living!) need this! Fix it, Microsoft.

This was first posted in '08. I am encountering this problem now (only because I am now employed from 08 and hadn't used these features in years). I've had my template built -- using small caps in Heading 1 and now can't get my Appendices Heading 1 (aka Heading 6) to match. Ridiculous. So much for automation. Perhaps I'll have to resort to typing those by hand. Ugh.