Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Showing 'invisible' table borders

Skip wrote:
In Print Layout mode, I do a lot of quasi-page layout using tables.
In the previous versions of Word, the table lines - though set to
have no border - showed up as a grey line. This allowed me to see
the boundaries of the cells while designing, even though I had no
intention of ever seeing them on the finished printed page. As the
new version of Word seems to default to 'no border means no line', I
was wondering if there was a way to toggle or set to display the cell
lines while set to 'no border'. It's very disconcerting while
designing to see floating white space, not knowing where cells end,
begin, etc. And I am hoping to avoid having to give them a temporary
colored border while designing, only to have to shut it off later.

Is there a way to 'Show' the table lines, just like tabs and carriage
returns?

When the cursor is in a table, the Table Tools ribbon is available. The View
Gridlines button is at the left end of the Layout tab on that ribbon.

You can also go to Office button Word Options Advanced Show Document
Content and check the box for "Text boundaries", which will display table
cells as well as many other boundaries.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman