Paul Terrano

Using Win 2000(SP4) & Word 2000(SP3), I experimented some with
the setting of tabs in the table of contents. The results are
reported below in the order they were performed The advice
previously given by both Shauna Kelly and Suzanne Barnhill in
this thread was both clear and accurate and had I been a little
more careful, would have worked the first time.

If you change the first tab (i.e. the one with the smallest
dimension), the offset for the hanging indent changes
automatically.

A dotted leader, if desired, must be associated with the longer
tab (i.e. the one just prior to the page number). If it
associated with the other tab(s) there will be multiple leaders.
This may be a useful construct in some situations.

If you happen to view the tab settings from the FormatTabs menu
and there is a default tab setting shown, the hanging indent may
be changed without notice.

To test the persistence of tabs, I added a \w switch to the TOC
field which now reads { TOC \f \h \z \w }. The tabs set in the
TOC 1 style were 1.1 inches left and 6 inches right; both tabs
associated with a dotted leader. To this set, I added a 1.5 inch
left tab, no leader. In the first two of my TC definitions I
added a tab next to the one that was there. In the resulting
table of contents, the first two entries had three tabs while all
the rest showed 2 tabs. The first two entries had leaders
associated with the first and third tabs and none for the second.

Removing the \w switch and updating the table of contents causes
the second tab (of three) to be ignored and does not show the
leader associated with the first tab. Just adding the \w switch
back and updating the toc again restores both the second tab and
the initial leader.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I think we're talking about different things. When you generate

a TOC, Word
inserts one tab character automatically. This is the tab (with

a dot leader)
that goes to the page number. Attempts to add another tab

character to the
TOC entry (by adding a tab character to the heading or TC

field) don't seem
to be terribly successful. Are you saying that the tab

character you use in
your TC field *is* preserved?

Also, I'm curious about the way you're building your TOC. The

\o switch
tells Word to include built-in heading styles with the outline

level(s)
specified (1-3 by default). If you want to use TC fields only

(which you'd
need to do if you don't want your entries duplicated), you

would need to
clear the check boxes for "Styles" and "Outline levels" and

check the box
for "Table entry fields"). This selection, with all other

settings left at
their defaults, produces this TOC field:

{ TOC \f \h \z }

The reason you're not getting anything but the text formatted

with Heading 1
(rather than the contents of your TC field) is thus that you

have an \o
switch rather than an \f switch in the field.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.