Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Converting all old Office Files to 2007 format

There are only Word filters on my site http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm ,
and Word has never opened PowerPoint files.

StefanKZVB wrote:
Hi Graham,

maybe it's me but i can't find the old converters on your web site.
Btw: Do they also allow to read ppt 4.0 files with Office 2007?

Thank you

Stefan

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

As far as I am aware, all the old filters still work to *read*
documents in those old formats, though some are inhibited by a
registry switch, which can be changed - see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810 and
http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=519.

Some of them will still *write* to those old formats, though there
does not seem much reason to do so.

Most of the older filters are available for download from my web
site (cw registry patches to make them available), though updates
tend to contrive to replace them again.

StefanKZVB wrote:
Hi Bob,

what you say would mean you would have to have multiple old
computers in a company
with old Office versions just to keep the old files readable. You
don't have any warranties or replacement parts for these old
machines, etc.

In the long way you would even have to
think about strategies on how to transfer unreadable files to the
old machines etc.
That's lots of unnessesary TCO and administrators will eventually
hate MS Office for all the
effort it takes just to read some old files...

Also I think in fact you almost get FORCED to upgrade to new MS
Office versions
either because you receive the new not prefectly readable file
formats from outside.
Or because you need to be able to fix security holes which are
even still in the old Office versions. Though these versions already
got fixed for years over years...

So I really want Microsoft to improve the transitions to new file
formats.

BTW: IMHO the main reason why MS created new file formats and the
Ribbon was to get incompatible to OpenOffice. Because those
"innovations" are
not really better, just different. Well, in the case of OOXML not
just different but
worse than ODF. But I guess you know about that.

Best regards

Stefan

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Stefan,

Yes, there are various reasons to need access to the old files. As
I mentioned I have and still access files written over 30 years
ago. All of the old files remain readable by the versions of
Office that created running under the operating system versions
available then.

No one *forced* anyone to purchase or a use a new version of
anything and the transition out of old formats is announced years
in advance, which is pretty good in today's 'throw away'
technology age http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle. That the
companies that wrote the old tools are no longer around or that
there are potential security holes found in some of those older
tools so that they are discontinued, is just part of that product
life cycle. Heck, I still have a case of 8" floppy disks
I'll probably never get to use because someone decided to change
sizes g.

============
"StefanKZVB" wrote in
message ...
Well, I understand MS does not want to support old formats forever.

On the other hand NOT supporting old formats and forcing customers
to use third-party tools to migrate old documents
actually increases the total cost of ownership for MS Office.

So simply discontinuing a file format is NOT customer friendly at
all.

* * *
IMHO discontinuing a file format would be only acceptable if MS
would provide
with every new Office version a good (!), easy and powerful tool to
convert
ALL files
with not anymore supported formats reliably (!) to the new format.
* * *

The file converter tool provided in the 2007 ORK
does NOT meet these criterias, because:
- it does not convert the newly discontinued PPT 4.0 files
- it skips lots of files as unconvertable
- it has no option to convert to the same directories
not allowing you to have the converted files the same
file system rights.
- ...

Also for many customers there might be legal issues
why old documents must remain readable for decades.

Best regards

Stefan
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)