Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Endnotes de-linked

FWIW, if I create a footnote in Word, containing some italics and prefaced
by the usual footnote reference mark, then copy it and paste it into
WordPad, the number is removed entirely, and the italics are preserved.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
On 3/13/06 3:16 PM, "pbirn" wrote:

Hello Daiya and thanks for your patience.

Sorry not to be more helpful. Wait, I just had another idea. Do you
perchance have another word processor? On my Mac, Pages and AbiWord will
accept italic text pasted from Word, but ignore the numbers because they
doesn't know what to do with them (the OpenOffice equivalent ignores the
numbers but doesn't carry over italics applied by EndNote formatting,
interestingly). See if you have any programs that might work as an
intermediary step. (unfortunately, this might be subject to the same

issue
that means you don't get Styled Text as a Paste Special option). It's
possible that even Publisher or FrontPage might serve this purpose--try
them, if you have them installed.
AbiWord is free and cross-platform, if you want to experiment with this
method:

Well, I did get the macro to run and it did convert the endnotes to

regular
text. However, it also removed all the italics in the titles of the
references, so this does not seem to be a good solution.

Huh! Interesting. And very annoying. Probably fixable by someone who

knows
macros, which unfortunately is not me.

You are right of course, I can do all the 500 or so endnotes manually in

all
the time it has taken to come to this point, but I fear that I may have

to go
through this process more than once and so I wanted to find a speedy

solution.

Well, if your next book is going to do this, I think I would suggest a
different system. Probably create the notes as regular text at the end of
the document, set them up as a numbered list, and insert cross-references

the numbered note list in the main text.

But I guess if you edit much, this will have to redone all over again.

However, I am now creating a macro in my mind that suits my purpose

better.
Search for a paragraph mark (that's the end of a de-linked endnote),

then go
to the next line (beginning of a new note) and delete the first two

items
(this includes the blasted superscript left over from the linked

endnotes),
then replace with 000 tab, search again for a paragraph mark and so on.

think this works.

That sounds like it should work.

Thanks for your help

--