Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Appearance of square brackets within text

They're bookmarks. You can turn the display of them on or off in the Tools
Options View dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Nick wrote:
I am using Word 2003 with XP Home.

I have been working on some medium sized documents (400 to 500K) and
I have found grey square brackets ([ ]) showing up in the text above
where I am writing. They do not declare themselves using the show
punctuation button, and I can not delete them. They do not appear on
the printed output.

Probably an easy one, but I don't understand. Thanks, Nick