Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Default Header and footer on first page only

A simpler, although less straight-forward, way is to use the header/footer
toolbar to go to the page layout and switch off "different first page." Then
you have access to the header and footer boxes in the first page. Edit and
then change the setting back to different first page. Then you can paste
into the first-page header.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
To access the main header (or footer) in a document with the
"Different first page" option enabled, you have to insert a temporary
page break (unless document content extends to a second page); that
could be the problem in this case.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"David" wrote in message news
Thanks for your help but this doesn't seem to work. I've done as you

say but
when my typing gets to the bottom of the page and the second page

appears,
the same header and footer are still there.

cheers
david

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
No, you don't need to insert a section break to have a different

first
page header. Instead, do the following: On the File menu, click

Page
Setup. Click the Layout tab. Check the "Different first page"

option,
and click OK. Then click View | Header and Footer, cut the header
contents and paste it into the first page header.

For "everything" about creating letters in Word, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"David" wrote in message ...
Hi

I'm trying to write a business letter. My logo and date and
reference etc
are all in the header on the first page. I obviously don't want
these to
appear on every page [although I'd like the footer to do so if
possible]. As
far as I can see, the only way to do this is to wait until my

typing
gets to
the bottom of the page and then manually insert a section break,
making the
header in the new section different from the last section. But I
seem to
have to do this for every page!

How do I do this?

Its seems to me to be such a fundamental requirement and yet I

can't
even
find anything on it in help. Good old MS, making everything too
complicated
as usual and ignoring basic requirements.

Thansk for your help.