Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Header and footer on first page only

There are more intuitive but less efficient ways to achieve the same effect.
For example, you can insert a temporary page break in order to have access
to both headers at once. I don't think this has anything to do with
usability testing, though. I suspect most users are already several pages
into a document before they figure out they need a separate First Page
Header. It's only when you're setting up a blank document or template from
scratch that this is an issue. Also, I suspect that Word 2007 will make this
a lot easier.

"David" wrote in message
Ah...cracked it. Thats an excellent page you linked me to. Thanks. Hardly
intuitive process though is it? Can't help wonder about Microsofts

usability
testing procedures!

Thanks again for you help.

David

--
David Kitching Msc. Msc.
Managing Director

Tel: +44 (0) 1789 470040
Mob: +44 (0) 7799 118518
www.naturaldeco.co.uk

"Luc" wrote in message
David,
Have you tried using the "Different first page" option?
On the Header and Footer toolbar, click on the Page Setup button -

choose
Layout tab - under Headers and Footers section check the box for
"Different first page", then click OK.
Also if you want some extra info on creating letterheads and using

headers
and footers in them go he
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)

"David" schreef in bericht
Hi

I'm trying to write a business letter. My logo and date and reference

etc
are all in the header on the first page. I obviously don't want these

appear on every page [although I'd like the footer to do so if

possible].
As far as I can see, the only way to do this is to wait until my typing
gets to the bottom of the page and then manually insert a section

break,
making the header in the new section different from the last section.

But
I seem to have to do this for every page!

How do I do this?

Its seems to me to be such a fundamental requirement and yet I can't

even
find anything on it in help. Good old MS, making everything too
complicated as usual and ignoring basic requirements.

Thansk for your help.