Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jeffrey Kaplan Jeffrey Kaplan is offline

Default One document, two computers: Different layouts

Previously on microsoft.public.word.pagelayout, macropod said:

The way Word lays out a document is heavily dependent on the capabilities of the attached printer and its driver & driver setup. If
the printer associated with the desktop & laptop PCs differ, that could explain the difference. Even if it's the same printer, using
a different OS on the two PCs will likely mean they're using different drivers for the same printer. And even if the OS's are the
same, the drivers or their settings might differ.

It is two different versions of Vista, using the same printer. The
printer is physically attached to the desktop, and configured as a
network printer on the laptop.

Another possibility is that there's a mis-match between the paper size for which the document is formatted and the paper size for
which the printer is set up. In that case, if one PC's Word installation is set up to allow Letter/A4 resizing and the other isn't,
that too could account for the difference.

I doubt that's the case, but I'll double-check.

If you need to be sure that the layout will remain the same on any PC, and the document is not intended to be edited by the
recipient, the safest approach is to distribute it in PDF format, which Word 2007 can produce.

It is. The laptop is in my living room, and I was planning on
continuing work on the doc from the recliner.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

"A darkness in the heart cannot be cured by moving the body."
(Lennier, B5 "Dust to Dust")