Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

Default Convert Date Field to Text

Use a CreateDate field instead of a date field. Use a date format switch to
spell it out:
{ CreateDate \@ "MMMM dd, yyyy" }

If you still want to convert it to text, the select the field and press
CTRL+SHIFT+F9

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Cardlaw wrote:
I want to create a letterhead template which will have today's date at
the top. I would like to use the date field. However, when I save a
new letter, I would like the date field to convert to text spelling
out the date I wrote the letter, so if I need to reprint the letter
at a future date, it will not put the date of printing on the letter
instead of the original date the letter was written.
Any help would be appreciated.