Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Print layout view - align doc to left

Hi Suzanne,

Ic you resize the style pane by dragging from either the top left corner or bottom right corner that size should stick when you dock
then undock the Pane.

Double clicking anywhere in the title bar of the pane (where first click gives you the four headed arrow) should dock it.

Slamming can be somewhat iffy (unless you're using a slow side). If you have the Word window less than full screen, or width wise,
for example less than 1/2 the screen width you can drag the Styles Pane out over the Windows desktop and leave it floating there
rather than further reduce your Word work area.

One of the design changes for Office 2007 was that there wasn't supposed to be a multipurpose/stacked task pane, although the
Document Map/Thumbnails Pane seems to have skirted that rule by using a dialog drop down and titling it 'Switch Navigation Window'
(I guess it's a window rather than a window pane g, and that makes it all different g)

=============
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...
It took some experimentation, but I inadvertently did get this to work. I
hadn't realized you could resize this pane (and I don't know whether that
affected the result or not), but resizing it and "slamming" it against the
side didn't seem to help. I kept dragging it into various spots near the top
right corner and at some point, in desperation, double-clicked, and that did
the trick.

Unfortunately, now I can't figure out how to make it smaller again! Even if
I close it, the next time I open it, it's a big pane again--not a bad thing,
I guess, but not what I expected. Ah, wait, if I move the Move arrow to the
top left corner of the pane I can make it revert.

So, bottom line: Double-click in the top left corner to dock it. Drag the
top left corner to make it float.

The arrow on the title bar, by the way, doesn't lead to other task panes as
in Word 2003 but to a rather unnecessary menu of Move, Size, Close.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP