Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy F. Kathy F. is offline

Default Is there a way to lock a template?

I was afraid of that. Thanks anyway.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Dream on! If the users can see it they can change it.

Kathy F. wrote:
Read only prevents accidental changes, but we want to stop
unauthorized people from turing off the flag so they can "fix" the
template. We can't use folder security because the template is sent
to offices all over the world.

"Peter A" wrote:

In article ,
says...
We use a couple of different templates for all of our documentation,
depending on the type of document. We want people to be able to
make adjustments to a document if necessary (apply bold and italic
to text, indent, etc.) but we want to lock it so they can't modify
the template itself. We've made the templates read only, but we'd
feel better if there were some way to password protect it. I tried
setting a modify password on the template, but it required the
password to apply the template or even open a document based on the
template. Any ideas?

Why isn't read-only good enough? If the template is at a central
location on a server, make its folder read-only too.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers