Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Can't open file in Office 2003 Word or Excel from Windows Expl

If you are using Norton AV, uncheck its Office Plug-in
Repair Office from the Windows Control panel Add or Remove programs
See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

Larry Frohman wrote:
Thanks for suggestion. I followed it but there was no effect. Note:
when trying to open a .doc (or .xls) file from Explorer, Word opens
correctly but no file loads - I just see the blue-gray background (or
in Excel, the "Personal.xls" file. However, if the program is
already open, I get an eeor message "There was a problem sending the
command to the program". Does this help pinpoint the problem?

Thanks again.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

See How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm

Larry Frohman wrote:
I just found I cannot open any doc. or .xls file from Windows
Explorer into Word or Excel (OS: Windows XP, SP2). The same files
will open from within Word or Excel. When trying to open a file,
Word (or Excel) opens normally, but no file is loaded. The file
types in the Folder Options of Windows Explorer are set correctly;
rebooting computer did not help and repairing the installation of
Office 2003 did not help. The same problem occurs when trying to
open an attached .doc or .xls file from within my e-mail program
(Eudora
6.2) but that program is not at fault because even newly created
files in Word or Excel will not open from within Windows Explorer.
My O.S. and Microsoft Office have been running normally for more
than 2 years and the problem has started only within the past month.
All help will be appreciated. Thanks.