Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard[_2_] Andrew Kennard[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2003 SQL Express Datasource

Ah! The single letter was just a bit too consice for me !

The alias seems to hjave done the trick and the odc file I am using is
empty. I'll do some more tests but we seem to be cooking with gas at the
moment !

One other question .... I've not looked into it yet but my "Form Letters1"
window displays the result of the merge but it does not have the usual
toolbars and menus at the top

Is this normal when automating mailmerge via COM and you have to "switch
them on" ?

Thanks VERY much for all of your help I would have never cracked this on my
own !

I'm surprised there is not a Microsoft KB article on how to do it (or maybe
I havn't found it) but it is crying out for one as it seem like the logical
thing someone would want to do with their new "free" database !!

PS wierd one about the connection string Word creates in the marcro record
is truncated?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
The "A" is a "table alias". As far as I can tell, standard SQL should not
require you to use an alias in this case but Word seems to insist on it.

FWIW, table aliases have various uses, e.g. shortening/clarifying your
code, but more importantly you have to use table aliases when you use more
complex queries that reference the same table in more than one "role"

e.g. if you have an employee table with

EmployeeID, ManagerID, EmployeeName

and each manager is also listed in the table, to get a list of

Employee ID, Employee name, Manager ID, Manager name

you might use something like

SELECT E.EmployeeID, E.EmployeeName, E.ManagerID, M.EmployeeName
FROM Employee E INNER JOIN Employee M on M.EmployeeID = E.ManagerID

There are also "columne aliases" that let you rename a column or an
expression, e.g. something like

SELECT E.EmployeeID, E.EmployeeName AS [Employee's name], E.ManagerID,
M.EmployeeName AS [Manager's name]
FROM Employee E INNER JOIN Employee M on M.EmployeeID = E.ManagerID

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Andrew Kennard" wrote in message
Thanks Peter I'll try that

I've already just tried leaving out the Connection and SQL and I've
managed to get it to work but would prefere to connection string option
as it is more flexible

What are the significance of the A's in your example ? I'm not an SQL
guru !

Thanks

Andrew

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Off the top of my head I suggest you try modifying the OpenDataSource
call so that
a. the query is

"SELECT A.* FROM [System3000].[dbo].[AGKTemp11] A"

b. If that isn't enough, try leaving the connection parameter out of the
OpenDataSource call, if you can (setting it to Nothing or "" may not
work either, though)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Andrew Kennard" wrote in message
OK having go it working as a 'user' I'm now trying VIA com and not
having much luck !

The best i've got so far is no error opening the data source but it
only thinks it has two fields M_ and M_1 which is not correct

My command in the Visual Dataflex language I am using is

Send ComOpenDataSource of oMailMerge
((psHome(phoWorkspace(ghoApplication)))+"Programs\ SQLServerConnection.odc")
OLEwdOpenFormatAuto False True True False Nothing Nothing False Nothing
Nothing "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security
Info=True;Initial Catalog=System3000;Data Source=AGKBIGDELL;Use
Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet
Size=4096;Workstation ID=AGKBIGDELL;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag
with col" "SELECT * FROM AGKTemp11" Nothing Nothing
OLEwdMergeSubTypeOther

I made this up from a recorded macro from Word

The meat of the odc file is

meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/x-ms-odc; charset=utf-8"
meta name=ProgId content=ODC.Table
meta name=SourceType content=OLEDB
meta name=Catalog content=System3000
meta name=Schema content=dbo
meta name=Table content=AGKTemp11
xml id=docprops/xmlxml id=msodcodc:OfficeDataConnection
xmlnsdc="urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficedc"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"
odc:Connection odc:Type="OLEDB"
odc:ConnectionStringProvider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrat ed
Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=True;Data Source=AGKBIGDELL;Use
Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet
Size=4096;Workstation ID=AGKBIGDELL;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag
with column collation when possible=False;Initial
Catalog=System3000/odc:ConnectionString
odc:CommandTypeTable/odc:CommandType

odc:CommandText"System3000"."dbo& quot;."AGKTemp11"/odc:CommandText
/odc:Connection
/odc:OfficeDataConnection
/xml

Any clues would be most appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

"Andrew Kennard" wrote in message
I've selected this table INTO a new table and Word seems to be able to
connect to that one OK ?

All of the columns are there so I assume it must be something to do
with the indexs or other 'options' on this table ??

Thanks

Andrew

"Andrew Kennard" wrote in message

CREATE TABLE [words].[Person](

[PK_Person] [int] NOT NULL,

[Title] [varchar](10) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Title] DEFAULT
(''),

[Forename] [varchar](35) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Forename]
DEFAULT (''),

[Surname] [varchar](35) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Surname]
DEFAULT (''),

[Salutation] [varchar](50) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Salutation]
DEFAULT (''),

[Badge_Name] [varchar](35) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Badge_Name]
DEFAULT (''),

[Sort_Code] [varchar](40) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Sort_Code]
DEFAULT (''),

[External_ID] [varchar](20) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT
[DF_Person_External_ID] DEFAULT (''),

[Status] [tinyint] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__Person__Status__278EDA44]
DEFAULT ((0)),

[Perm_Bidder_No] [varchar](10) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT
[DF_Person_Perm_Bidder_No] DEFAULT (''),

[Update_Timestamp] [timestamp] NOT NULL,

[Update_User] [tinyint] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Update_User]
DEFAULT ((0)),

[Invalid] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Invalid] DEFAULT
((0)),

[Cheque_Limit] [decimal](10, 2) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT
[DF_Person_Cheque_Limit] DEFAULT ((0.00)),

[No_Card] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_No_Card] DEFAULT
((0)),

CONSTRAINT [PK_Person] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[PK_Person] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY
= OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY],

CONSTRAINT [UQ_Person_PK_Person] UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED

(

[PK_Person] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY
= OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

"Andrew Kennard" wrote in message
Hi All

I'm trying to connect to an SQL2005Express Table as the source for a
Word merge

Ulimately I want to automate this via COM but for now am just trying
it as a user

I can get the connection setup fine and choose the table I want
however I get the following error when I try and use it

"Record 1 contained too few dataflields"

Looking on the MS KB this seems to be a known problem and you need
to update to the latest office service pack (SP3) which I have done
but the problem is still there

The Word about dialog shows as version "11.8169.8172.SP3"

This is just a test but the structure of the table I am conecting to
is